
It is official. Or almost official. I suppose nothing is official until we hold orders in our hands (orders are those magical military papers that tell you where to go and when to be there). We are going to Fort Campbell! We have been anxiously awaiting our Phase 2 assignment for several weeks now. Joe will be finishing Phase 1 on December 14th. A mere 104 days or so away. We again have seen God at work in our lives and we can't be more thankful for the way things have turned out. We have been worried!
There is no real system in place for deciding on placements for the clinical year, and for a while things were not looking good for us. Luckily more spots opened up and we were able to fit into one of our top five choices. We are pretty excited! Fort Campbell borders both Kentucky and Tennessee, but is generally labeled as Ft. Campbell, KY. We will more than likely look for a house in Clarksville, TN. We know a few students who have already moved there and apparently this is where most people live. It should be easy for Joe to get to the hospital in a short amount of time. There is a chance we could look for on post housing, but we are not sure of availability. We have also heard from the other students that the doctors at the hospital are extremely helpful to the PA's. This is a relief to Joe because he has heard that some doctors make life miserable for PA's. This post is also the home of several very active units such as the 101st Airborne Division. Hopefully this means Joe will have some great opportunities during his clinical rotations. 

Clarksville holds many advantages for us such as...
1) We are not going to be in Texas anymore which means no more Texas edition trucks, Texas sized value meals, or how great Texas is.
2) We will be 4 to 5 hours from Farmington which also brings us closer to our family in Springfield (especially our new niece Emma!)
3) Clarksville is 1 hour from our close friends Amber & Chris and adopted nephew Jack.
4) Tennessee actually borders North Carolina which means we are so much closer to Mae and Ian than we are now!
5) Obviously we are not too far from St. Louis either. Home of Cardinals Baseball, good friends and family.
6) Clarksville is also only about 1 hour from Nashville.
7) Clarksville has a mall and a Starbucks! (you didn't think I could move somewhere without a mall did you?)
The city is located on the Cumberland River and also has a river walk. I don't think it will be like the one here, but we have heard it is a cute area. We are definitely looking forward to seeing all four seasons again! So far, we have failed to find any disadvantages.
I really can't believe how fast December will arrive. We have so much to do already and I am sure I will keep thinking of a million more things to do as our move approaches. It is funny though because I already know I am going to miss San Antonio. As much as I don't want to live in Texas I enjoy a lot of what this city has to offer. We think Tennessee will be a nice change of pace. We are definitely looking forward to it!
2 comments:
Yay, we are so excited that you've been given a placement that you're happy with! You will definately be much closer than Texas. The PA I work with at Jordan Valley did the military's PA program and did his clinical year at Campbell. He really enjoyed it. He did lots of surgical/procedural stuff. Hope everything goes smoothly as you prepare to move once again and settle into your last home before your final home! We love you, Mandy
Hooray! Congratulations on your placement. That's fabulous news. We're so happy for you... and glad you'll be much closer to us. Only an 8 hour drive... better than the 19 to San Antonio. :)
Post a Comment