Romans 8:28

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Graduation, Christmas, Happy New Year and Settling In...

Well here we are in Clarksville, TN. Never in a million years did I ever dream that someday we would live here!

We have had a busy few months and we are anxious for things to slow down. Unfortunately for Joe things are speeding up and going to be busy...good busy. Joe's graduation went well, and he finished up 3rd in his class. I was so proud to hear him announced as an honor graduate! Our drive to Tennessee was horrible! It rained on us the whole way and we were just exhausted. We had a wonderful Christmas and had the chance to see many of our family and friends. I just love that time of year and I can't wait to actually be able to decorate next year. Our new year is off to a busy start and I am finally finding time to work on some of those resolutions I have made for 2008. I love the new year and the feeling of a fresh start.




We have been here for just about a month now and Joe and I are about to get all settled in. It is so hard to get everything put away quickly. It seems like there are always a few piles of things left over for a while that you just can't find a home for, and it is hard to wait for Joe to have time to help me hang things. Eventually it will all be done (probably in time to move again!). We are learning our way around this place. It is definitely easier to get around than San Antonio however the locals keep speaking of "Clarksville traffic". We are not really sure what they are talking about....it's not even as bad as Columbia traffic. I guess it is bad to them though. We are loving the location we live in. We are just a few minutes from the mall area and restaurants. We have a huge movie theater, coffee shop, Cold Stone Creamery, smoothie shop, mexican restaurant, Sonic, pizza place, burger place, gas stations, and doughnut shop right here at our exit. The coffee shop has been a favorite place for Joe and I to go together. It is owned by a Korean man and his wife. He is actually a retired Army helicopter pilot and they have a picture of him flying in the shop. Anyway it has been one of the highlights of our new life here. It's the little things, right?



I feel like I am getting a little restless. I was definitely not ready for another big upheaval. I had my house just how I wanted it (almost), I had friends and activities, and I had tons of shopping...good shopping. We were just settled in, which I am convinced takes at least a year to do. Things here are just a little different. We do not have an FRG (Family Rediness Group) in place when we get to Phase II so there aren't any play groups yet. I have a couple of friends who have come with us here and I am sure we are going to form some kind of play group soon. Joe and I also had the idea for he and his classmates to have dinner once a month. They all started out in a rotation together for the first week and then went their separate ways. The dinners will be a good way for them to stay connected and for us all to visit. We have already hosted one dinner and I will be hosting another next Tuesday. There are four others who came from Joe's class. Stephanie, who is living apart from her husband while attending this program. Julie and Matt Bay and their girls Hailey (3) and Gianna (8 months) were friends of ours from SA and they are from Wisconsin. Matt was a recruiter for the Wisconsin Guard. There are two other couples with young kids that I know of from SA, but am not as aquainted with the wives. Joe, however, was already friends with the guys so he is pretty happy with the group that has come here.



We are excited about our new congregation we have been worshipping with ( Needmore Church of Christ). In a crazy coincidence, a friend from the camp I am a counselor at each summer moved to our congregation to be the full time preacher (Johnny Burkhart). The congregation had been recommended to us because Johnny's brother was an elder there. Our first Sunday visiting there they announced that Johnny would be moving here in a couple of weeks to be their full time preacher. I was pretty excited. He is such a sweet and caring man who really has a love for lost souls and preaching the truth. We are definitely looking forward to learning from him this year. We have met some really nice folks there and Johnny has already been hasseling Joe about leading singing. I imagine we will be placing membership there soon. The down side to it is that it takes us about 35 minutes to get there from our house. Joe and I feel like it is a worthwhile drive...especially now that we have a friend preaching there.



Joe is currently in his allergy rotation which is part of his ENT rotation as well. He began his first week back in radiology with all of the others and then they split off into their own rotations. He has enjoyed ENT & allergy. The doctors have been super cool and helpful. It also helps that he has gotten home early each night for the past several weeks. At the same time of his other rotations, he is required to work one night a week in the ER and at least one Saturday or Sunday a month in the ER. So far he has worked two weekend days so he has a break from weekends for a while. He is enjoying actually applying his knowledge, and I can see him gaining more and more confidence as he is working with patients and doctors. I am so proud of him.

I hope now that we are settling in that I will be able to keep up with my posting. Hopefully Joe can find some time to share some of his thoughts with us too! Next week he begins OB/GYN...he can't wait.

2 comments:

Mae said...

Glad to hear you guys are settling in! Hope you find some good things to keep you busy soon. :) love you guys!

Three Gals and a Guy said...

We're glad to hear life is returning to normal (if that's possible.) We miss you and love you both and can't wait to see you

Joe & Jill Costello