
So I haven’t blogged in awhile, as you can see from the title. Obviously much has happened since then and I by no means really intend to cover it all. I’ll start with recent things and see where we end up. First of all, we have a contract on a house, but won’t close until March (hopefully!). In the mean time we’re waiting on a settlement between the bank and the owner of the house we rent to find out if we have to move before our house is finished being built (see Jill’s post below for details). I think we should find out this week.
As I’m sure you all know, I’ve also started my new career as an Army PA. I’m assigned to headquarters troop, first squadron, seventy-fifth armor regiment, second brigade combat team, with the 101st Airborne Division. Abbreviated that is: HHT, 1/75AR RGT, 2BCT, 101st ABD. Here’s a little background info for those who don’t know…troops and companies make up squadrons and battalions (cavalry and infantry respectively), squadrons and battalions make up brigades, and brigades make up divisions. I am the primary care provider for a squadron of roughly 450 personnel. I see clinic on a daily basis and run the aid station (clinic) when we are in the field. I also have a role in logistics as far as deciding what medications and medical supplies the unit needs. And I have a role in training our medics, which I believe we have around 25. A few nice things about the job are that I’m not directly responsible for anyone else and I don’t fall under anyone else besides the Squadron Commander (top dog) and the Brigade Surgeon. So in general I can just do my thing and not worry about too much “Armyness.” I’m committed for the next three years, which will include a deployment in the next 12-18 months (Afghanistan most likely). We’ll see what happens after that.
Graduation was nice. We had a small ceremony because only five of us were graduating. I didn’t really feel like I was finished until I passed my board exam a couple of weeks ago though. I scored a 589. I have no idea what that means beyond it’s passing, but it sounds like a great score doesn’t it? Now the only thing I’m waiting on is to be credentialed by the hospital. Once that happens I’ll be on my own. Exciting, but a little scary. I feel like I could use a few more years of training! I don’t know if I’d ever really feel prepared though. I’ll leave it here for now so Jill can tell you more about the house we bought and post a picture. I’ll try and post more regularly from now on. Actually I’ll have to do one about the Dining In I attended on Friday which served as my introduction to the Cavalry. Good times!
As I’m sure you all know, I’ve also started my new career as an Army PA. I’m assigned to headquarters troop, first squadron, seventy-fifth armor regiment, second brigade combat team, with the 101st Airborne Division. Abbreviated that is: HHT, 1/75AR RGT, 2BCT, 101st ABD. Here’s a little background info for those who don’t know…troops and companies make up squadrons and battalions (cavalry and infantry respectively), squadrons and battalions make up brigades, and brigades make up divisions. I am the primary care provider for a squadron of roughly 450 personnel. I see clinic on a daily basis and run the aid station (clinic) when we are in the field. I also have a role in logistics as far as deciding what medications and medical supplies the unit needs. And I have a role in training our medics, which I believe we have around 25. A few nice things about the job are that I’m not directly responsible for anyone else and I don’t fall under anyone else besides the Squadron Commander (top dog) and the Brigade Surgeon. So in general I can just do my thing and not worry about too much “Armyness.” I’m committed for the next three years, which will include a deployment in the next 12-18 months (Afghanistan most likely). We’ll see what happens after that.

Graduation was nice. We had a small ceremony because only five of us were graduating. I didn’t really feel like I was finished until I passed my board exam a couple of weeks ago though. I scored a 589. I have no idea what that means beyond it’s passing, but it sounds like a great score doesn’t it? Now the only thing I’m waiting on is to be credentialed by the hospital. Once that happens I’ll be on my own. Exciting, but a little scary. I feel like I could use a few more years of training! I don’t know if I’d ever really feel prepared though. I’ll leave it here for now so Jill can tell you more about the house we bought and post a picture. I’ll try and post more regularly from now on. Actually I’ll have to do one about the Dining In I attended on Friday which served as my introduction to the Cavalry. Good times!
1 comment:
Congrats, Joe! Welcome back to the blogosphere. Hope to hear more from you. :)
Post a Comment